Nordnet redefined the financial world as the first digital bank in Europe. Now we are about to do it again and the aim is to create the next generation of bank, in the cloud. We know this requires great people, great teams, great leadership, and great technology. Do you want to join us and build the new Nordnet? We are seeking a Director of Engineering to join our management team for Tech and drive our technology and product strategy, while building a high-performing Engineering organisation.
As Director of Engineering, you will co-lead our 170-people Engineering department in partnership with another Director of Engineering. This key position is instrumental in shaping and advancing the technology strategy for the Engineering department, as well as building an amazing product development organisation. You will oversee a team of 7-8 Engineering Managers, each supporting 1-2 Engineering teams focused on specific product areas.
- Collaborate closely with peers to develop and execute a comprehensive technology strategy.
- Scale and optimise our Engineering department and leadership team.
- Drive planning and risk management, including identification of risks and implementation of action plans.
- Develop models for technical decision-making that balance team autonomy with a cohesive platform approach.
- Enhance cross-departmental collaboration within Tech and across Nordnet.
- Continuously improve our ways of working and build a high performing product development organisation
What you will do
In this role, you will collaborate closely with your Product counterparts and other leaders within the Tech department, showcasing pragmatic leadership, active listening skills, and effective communication. You will build an environment characterised by psychological safety, engagement, and a strong sense of ownership. You will apply coaching and support the engineering leadership team, build a culture of trust, and delegate ownership and responsibility. You will also manage budget, staffing, team topology, and planning within the department, and ensure everything runs smoothly and efficiently.
What we believe in
We take great pride in our culture, valuing collaboration, self-leadership and ownership. We believe motivated teams building great products together are an even more important key to company success than the best strategy can ever offer. This is something we expect you to embody in your daily work. Central to our approach are empowered teams and individuals who are continuously striving for improvement. We prefer learning through hands-on experience and experiments, and we embrace diversity and inclusion in all aspects of our work. We strive to use data to create clarity and support decisions, ensuring that we remain adaptable and forward-thinking.
This is you
- Seasoned in scaling technology organisations and leadership teams, including experience in managing other managers effectively.
- Strong in building high-performing teams and making tough prioritisation choices.
- Able to balance high team autonomy with achieving a cohesive platform.
- Experience as a Software Engineer and Engineering Manager in a modern technology organisation
- Formal education in a relevant field
- Experience from cloud migration is a plus
To thrive in this role, you must be able to work in a fast-paced environment. Additionally, fluent English skills, both oral and written, are required.
What we offer
We offer you the opportunity to work in a Nordic environment with a strong focus on delivery, product development and technology. Our ambitions are high and you will embark on a fast and challenging journey together with a skillful team of sharp and committed colleagues.
Culture is built and cared for, each day by everyone. We’re proud of ours. Having a flat organization where anyone can talk to anyone creates a warm and friendly atmosphere worth protecting. We believe in a culture where every effort counts and where everyone is being recognized. A culture embracing our core values – passion, simplicity and transparency on all levels, no matter who you are or what you do.
We are over 800 employees in Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki and Copenhagen.
Learn more about Nordnet on our corporate site and in our brand movie, This is Nordnet, that describes our identity.
Questions & applications
If you have questions, please contact Recruitment Manager Heidi Ershult, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply today – we will start interviewing immediately. Please note that we do only accept applications through our recruitment system, hence no email applications will be considered.
We want to inform you that Nordnet conducts mandatory credit and background checks, as well as drug testing as a part of our recruitment process.
We look forward to receiving your application!